Saturday, October 4, 2008

Gandiji... !!

Well it was the all important Gandhi Jayanthi on 2nd.Not much celebrations(for me) except that it was a holiday and i got a duplicate sim for my lost mobile, was trying to get the contacts back, busy messaging people and that's it.Oh yea,i forgot it was the day when the very much awaited(i very much did) smoking ban coming up.So we have another memorable Gandhi Jayanthi,if not for the celebrations the ban on public smoking is the need of the hour.

Firstly,let me talk about my knowledge of Gandhi till yesterday, frankly speaking i had developed a loathe on him over the years.I don't really know when was this cemented on me, but somewhere along my path i had abhorred him.I had thought of him as a traitor, a bad father and an unfit husband.I never tried to understand my mistake and that was when i asked Pappa(my dad) about Gandhi(i asked him yesterday,yeah so early i know).I had thought that Gandhi was the reason behind putting many of the extremists behind the bars and so hated him for that, i am a person who believes that non-violence is not the only reason behind our nation gaining the so called Independence one fine day.I forgot the fact that Gandhi was more dedicated to the cause of our nation than take care of his family.

Pappa told me about his greatness, but then again i didn't bother changing my thoughts on him.Just when he spoke of Gandhiji's strong desire to dismiss the congress right after independence, i felt bad on my part though my perception of the great man has nothing to do with anyone, i had made a big mistake myself by portraying a  good human being in a bad manner.He was indeed a great person and so i have taken up the task of trying to read his autobiography "My Experiences With Truth"(the malayalam version,"entae sathyaanweshana kadha").I have just started, seems to be an interesting book.

Now on the other issue,the ban on smoking in public places.I am happy, we always have a fight with my dad over this issue(he is a chain smoker).I am strictly against smoking in general and public smoking in particular.Finally someone out there heard my plea i suppose, my dad seemed all the more restless yesterday but somehow managed to calm himself down.Not just my dad most of my friends have also turn out to be regular smokers, they seize every opportunity given to them for smoking and it seems the reason behind their interest in smoking is that they don't fear death.And looking at people like my dad and others who smoke they have developed some kind of complex in them which persuades them to try smoking and ones they try , they never stop trying(i swear having had few fags myself i don't find any good reason to continue smoking).

Finally i find a good reason (i have other reasons too) to support this government, this ban on smoking might have affected the predictions of our Finance Minister Mr.Chidambaram(ever since his waiver on the farmers loans,its not that the waiver was not good but it was not executed well , i criticize his work), he might be working of compensating the tax income from the sales of cigarettes and other tobacco containing stuffs.I would be a relieved citizen if this ban on smoking sustains and would be an even happier citizen if this ban is further modified in regulating the sales of these products.This can definitely increase the quality of our citizens.

(PS:- For those of you who smoke, guys (now a days even girls) just imagine your state of mind before you started to smoke, you would have definitely been a healthier person then.And Health is wealth.)

1 Thoughts:

MadhuMash said...

Hi..

Happen to go thru your blog...
sounds good..

keep on bloggingg...
All the best 4 u'r 'xams...

Post a Comment