Monday, December 12, 2011

A post after sooo long!!

Am employed now. Boring life. But yeah Mumbai is a great city to be in, no doubts. It has been like a smooth job, nothing really interesting though. 4 hours of travel everyday makes me regret a lot thinking about the amount of time I waste travelling everyday. Enough of my current life, nothing great. I would rather write from where I stopped last year. I cross my fingers, hoping it wont be too big a post.

Life is always like a roller-coaster they say. And it truly is. It was fun studying, or the fun was that there was not much studying in college. My part time event management jobs were good enough. I worked with the IPL at Chennai, it was fun but it really showed me the other side of a this big event. Which I dare not speak about. I learnt a lot of things there, and the funniest things that happened there was that cause of my sincerity to what I did there, I ended up in real deep shit trying to stop the then city asst. police commissioner and he wanted me to be put in jail right away. I somehow escaped, I can never forget those 10 mins in my life. You shouldn't be the bad man doing the good job with the big guy!!

After ILP I did few other small stuffs, and then bid a big bye to events. I don't think I did the wrong thing. It was good to move on. And now Rakesh does events, he is happy with it and wants to keep doing it. And by the end of my 4 years of college, I found the love of my life. More about her later lol :)

And then life went pretty fast, it still is going fast. My results came and I cleared and became an engineer. I was never proud, I was just another of the lakhs of engineers this country produces, not good in what I learnt. No regrets though. That was when Pappa got transferred, he got Delhi first, with some force we changed it to Mumbai. The big Indian city, it was like a dream to be here. I followed Pappa to Mumbai, I was slow to follow him here, and he would pester me with messages saying time once lost doesn't come back..do something and don't waster your time doing nothing there..learn some Java or some programming, it will help..You haven't decided what you want to do next..and finally I booked my ticket to Mumbai. I had registered in TCS website a day before I booked the ticket and on the day I went to take printout of my ticket I got this hall ticket for a campus program scheduled at Mumbai right on the day I would reach Mumbai. Coincidence, is the term they coined for such an occurrence. And yeah while I was at Chennai, I used to majestically waste time doing nothing. Everyone kinda joined somewhere either an IT company or some BPO for the time being. I was almost a loner then, atleast for the better part where I wasted time.

Then I came to Mumbai one fine morning, got ready and went for the placement drive. I didn't want to inform Pappa, mummy or any of my friends about this but had to tell Pappa since I didn't know about Mumbai. I was of the impression that, if at all I get in then they would want me to work in an IT company, I was not very keen about it. I didn't come to Mumbai to work in an IT firm. But life goes the way it wants to, not listening to us. I got selected, thanks to that cool guy who interviewed me. Pappa called up mummy, she also came to know. lol. She wasn't surprised. Getting a job made me lazier, I became more lazy thinking I have a job and I don't need to find a new one anymore. That I believe is one of the biggest mistake I did my whole life. No regrets now, that stage again passed the test of time.

And I did attend 3 interviews after that, one was for a sales company. I kinda felt bad, cause that job would have taught me few things I am not so great at now. I should have taken it up atleast for a few months. Then the next one was another IT company, if I were in the interviewers shoes I wouldn't have picked myself then. I was bad at answering their questions, but they said they got what they looked for in me since I asked them why. I feel they had to meet target.. :P Another interview was the one I wanted to be through, but I couldn't, not having been rejected before it was not a good feeling. But again time makes you forget atleast a few things in life. And coming to Mumbai meant, I could meet many of my relatives I only heard about. And having met them made me feel I have company here. Thanks to my cousins here, last Diwali I had Pani puri for dinner :D. Thanks to Prashanth etta and Shefali Chechi. It is always good to have someone we can gel with easily at a new place, and here it turned out to be my cousins since I didn't have any friend in Mumbai initially.

Then my passion for finance and enough research made sure I would write CFA exam. I started studying and after a long wait TCS call came. I was just about to register for the exams then, but decided against it till my training got over. I went for the training and I can say it was once of the best times. I was like a single mallu in a group of nearly 190 students, there were no Tamilians and there were a few Telugu people who were born and bought up in Mumbai. So I was the only certified South Indian there in my batch. I made friends there, they had a difficult time coping up with my broken Hindi. It was really fun time at the training. One thing I really thank TCS for. It is not always easy to gel with different people, but it was great there. I could learn about the different states in India and know about its people.

We went on a lot of tours and stuffs during training, the Northest I have been in India. And I learnt there are a lot of places to be seen. I wanna visit the whole of this country, with such rich diversity. I am happy to have met some really great people during my training time in TCS. And thanks to all of them, I have a better Hindi now, though Java still remains bad. :) I would like to mention a few names here, but the list can actually go on. And yeah my birthday, not always anyone would have such a birthday like the one I had. Thanks to the guys for all the fun we had there. I can't say more about my b'day in here :P

Then I was deployed at Mumbai, an office 2 hours from where I live. I had no other options. But its good, I kinda work with a good team. I have learnt a lot of things. And yeah I had enrolled for my CFA Level I exam, it got over and am waiting for the result. I have done pretty well, the most effort I have ever put whole my life for any exam. Lets see what the result would be. I want to continue blogging, this is just an effort to kick start my writing habit again. A deliberate effort. But yes, I would be updating my blog regularly from now on, I at least want to do so. And its already too big.


Rahul

4 Thoughts:

Reflections said...

Wandered in here after a looong time and what do I see u've been going places;-D.

Congrats on all the milestones, great to know life has been treating u good.

Take care:-)


p.s:

My life is my lesson! said...

Hi Nancy,
Great to see you in here. Thanks a ton :)

Elizabeth said...

Hi there,

I came across your blog by chace when I was looking for nenmara in google. I am from Aluva, Ernakulam, but my husband's family is from Nenmara, exactly in Kollengode.. And they live in Mumbai. When i was reading your posts, I was like "may be daddy (my father in law) knows his family.. You know how it is back in Nenmara... everybody knows everybody.. :-)
How come no posts in 2012? Interesting to read.. Though my husband was raised in Mumbai, he has very fond memories of Palakkad and it was nice to see someone writing about Nenmara...

My life is my lesson! said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Good to see your comment. I kinda hop in once in a while curious to know if anyone commented. And yeah seriously Nemmara is a beautiful place and everybody knows everybody is soo true. Even these days when my dad meets people from in and around Nemmara, in like 5 mins they would have a dozen common friends and then they would soo much to talk about. I dunno why I don't blog now, I have time and I guess I just lack that motivation or may be am just lazy. I really need to start blogging again. Hope you are liking Mumbai as much as I do :)

Regards,
Rahul

Post a Comment